The Penn Traffic Company is one of the leading supermarket companies in the east and the largest public company headquartered in Syracuse, New York. Penn Traffic operates 111 supermarkets and has a wholesale food distribution business serving approximately 150 franchised or independent supermarkets.
For 17 years, Jampole Communications served as the de facto communications department for Penn Traffic, working directly with the President, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Marketing Officer and General Counsel, as well as with the consumer affairs, human resource, marketing and virtually every other department of the company. Our work entailed writing, design, counseling, crisis management and training services, including:
- Served as primary spokesperson with the news media nationally and in the approximately 50 communities where Penn Traffic has operations.
- Developed and organize special in-store events for the supermarkets, in conjunction with the Consumer Affairs department.
- Conducted media relations campaigns promotional and consumer affairs projects.
- Advised senior management on the communications aspect of corporate, financial and crisis issues.
- Wrote and edited all financial and corporate news releases.
- Conducted media and spokesperson training for senior executives.
Of special note was the work that Jampole Communications conducted for Penn Traffic related to chapter 11 bankruptcy filings in 1998-1999 and 2003-2004.